Sunday, October 14, 2012

Full


Today I added tons of plants to the OG-annex.  It was the perfect climate for planting. Overcast, and sort of damp. It says it will heat up to day though. I was finally able to add some of the spectacular agaves that Angela donated to the plantings. I also was able to add a Beschorneria yuccodies Sylvie via Connie who with Eileen, is doing the amazing job on Circular Drive, donated. She drives by this median almost everyday, so I have a big job to make it thrive and please Sylvie. You know how a person  (not me of course) can get attached to a plant..... I need tot use some restraint here as the area is looking full. Stop John, STOPOne across-the-street neighbor, as they were pulling out of their garage, yelled over to say 'good job'. You know this goes such a long long way for me. People appreciate the plants! ahhhhhhh....

Being that Sylvie and I are neighbors, she asked if I had an opinion on the cutting of the trees in Glen Canyon. She and I feel similarly I think. I see both sides. In the short term, the are will feel bare and open. In the long run, it is better for the Canyon. We both agreed that even though there are protests going on, the trees will be cut. It seems a mater of trust as Sylvie pointed out that they will actually replant what they say- 3 to each one removed. The plan states that 6 trees will be removed due to the new design and 52 trees will be removed due to poor health, structural defects and/or hazards. 163 new trees will be planted. Click for plan details. She added a concern that I had not thought of and that is that those mighty non-native Eucalyptus trees are a very efficient noise barrier from the O'Shaughnessy traffic.

Following, are the plants added:

Agaves-  
potatorum (pictured)
'blue glow' (pictured)
celsii (pictured)

'Rosa Gorda'
scabra
weberii
xylonacantha





This is a lovely bromeliad of some sort.
I am not able to ID it but while it has
common enough leaves, the flower is
sunken and almost a hot pink circle of
a glowing ora around the flower
mound. If it flowers soon, I will
picture it here of course.


The picture to the right here shows the location for the Beschorneria yuccodies. Here on the left, it seems to be frozen in its' bound up position I put it in for removal.

When it relaxes more, I will snap a pic in its' more normal relaxed graceful appearance.


No comments:

Post a Comment